The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com/: Phoenix, Arizona, June 2017-present
Education reporter, previous roles: Community watchdog reporter, Environmental reporting fellow
- Report on K-12 education, following how policy, funding and more impacts Arizona’s more than 200 school districts, 500 charter schools and 1.1 million students.
- Investigate the city of Mesa, the 36th biggest city in the United States, making massive records and data requests, and examining everything from the budget to the largest school district in the state.
- As an environmental reporting fellow, spearheaded a project on a record year for heat-related deaths in Arizona.
Cronkite News, cronkitenews.azpbs.org/: Phoenix, Arizona, August 2016-May 2017
Investigative reporter, senior producer
- Senior producer and a lead reporter on “HookedRx: From Prescription to Addiction,” a 30-minute documentary on prescription opioid abuse in Arizona which aired on all local television stations on January 10, 2017.
- Wrote the principal story on election night 2016, interviewing former AZ governors Janet Napolitano and Jan Brewer, Rep. Ruben Gallego and more.
News21, votingwars.news21.com: Phoenix, Arizona, May 2016-August 2016
Ethics and excellence fellow, Teaching Assistant (spring of 2017)
- Worked on an in-depth project on voting rights involving multimedia elements and data, traveling to Michigan, Mississippi, New Orleans, Little Rock and Philadelphia, to report from the Democratic National Convention.
- Story, exploring school takeovers across America, was republished by different outlets including NBC News, The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Hechinger Report.
- Returned in the spring of 2017 to serve as teaching assistant to Professors Leonard Downie Jr. and Jacqueline Petchel.
- Individual story was a national finalist and regional winner in the SPJ Mark of Excellence awards. Entire project awarded with the 2016 student reporting Investigative Reporters and Editors award.
Arizona State University: Phoenix, Arizona, August 2015- May 2017
Graduate assistant and student at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism
- Assist associate dean Kristin Gilger at the National Center on Disability and Journalism.
- Created a new, responsive WordPress theme to completely redesign ncdj.org.
- Run the center’s social media pages and website, spearheading critical campaigns to promote the non-profit and quality journalism on disability.
- Teaching assistant for two sections of an introductory journalism course with more than 200 students.
Tribune Broadcasting, EyeOpenerTV.com: Dallas, Texas, March 2014- May 2015
Line Producer, Local Cut-In Producer
- Line produce a nationally syndicated morning news show 5 days a week(airing in Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, D.C., and Portland)
- Stack the morning rundown; organize and write two-hour long show.
- Maintain order, cue anchors, and keep the show on time in the control room.
- Occasionally help on the production side: running automated camera system, prompter and floor.
MSNBC Longform, msnbc.com: New York, New York, June 2013- February 2014
- Assist production team in the technical output of MSNBC Longform programming each weekend.
- Collaborated with senior and associate producers on shows and documentaries: researching, finding archival footage, preparing for shoots, and promoting.
- Worked on six MSNBC social media pages–tweeting, creating a strategy, and creating graphics.
NBC News, Ann Curry Unit, nbcnews.com: New York, New York, January 2013- May 2013
- Researched stories and found sources to be taped for key segments
- Worked on the “Terror in Boston” Rock Center show researching and helping with scripts.
- Worked in the control room as a production assistant during live Rock Center shows.
The New York Times, nytimes.com: New York, New York, June 2011 – September 2012
Freelance Writer, Editorial Intern to the Learning Network and Choice blogs
- Wrote, reported, and researched blog posts; conducted broader research.
- Producer of multiple high profile byline stories, including my own blog on the Amanda Knox trial, filed while in Italy.
Kicker, gokicker.com: New York, New York, July 2012-Present
- Currently contribute one to two stories per month to a start up news platform.
Washington Square News, nyunews.com: New York, New York, September 2009-May 2011, October 2012
News Editor, Deputy Enterprise Editor, Staff writer
- Responsible for daily production of news stories.
The Village Voice, villagevoice.com: New York, New York- August 2010 – January 2011
Editorial Intern to Wayne Barrett, political reporter
- Conducted research and interviews for blogs published daily as well as two major cover stories.
Arizona State University
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism
Masters of Mass Communication
Outstanding Graduate Student
Phi Kappa Phi
New York University
New York, New York
B.A in Journalism and Metropolitan Studies
• Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, InDesign
• Data journalism experience including expertise in requesting public records
• Training in Avid Interplay, iNews, ENPS and OPUS
• DSLR photography, video and editing (also skilled in shooting with broadcast cameras)
• WordPress, HTML, CSS
• Experience in social media and website analytics
And while you’re at it: check out my LinkedIn.